Monday, July 30, 2007

On the Road Again

Charlene and I go waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy back. This picture was taken 28 years ago in Watertown, NY. We haven't seen each other in a few years so it was time for a road trip to Boca Raton. East Coast Florida. OMG. SO different from West Coast Florida. She lives between West Palm Beach and Miami. Land of women with plastic faces and men who wear tassled shoes with no socks. Ewwwwww. But it's about a 4 hour drive (well, it's supposed to be!) and not one that either of us makes often enough. The pool action ended right before I got there but her youngest daughter, Sami, shared this photo of her and her boyfriend, Matt. She colored in the creature with PhotoShop and I thought that was very creative. Sami is a junior in college this year.




















Charlene also has twins, Patrick and Colleen, born in 1983. As I recall, the twins were a complete surprise. Yeah, that could happen waaayyyyyyy back then. And here's a girl who was an only child and never babysat! That's funny, right? I'm sure you can look back and laugh now, Char.

So the Divine Miss M was worried that our weekend together would not be nearly as much fun as I had in New York. She couldn't have been more wrong. She found the greatest little place to visit Saturday night. We drove to Lighthouse Pointe to board a boat to an island on the intracoastal waterway. The restaurant we ate at, Caps, dates back to 1928. One of the most unique things about this restaurant (besides its prices!!!!!) was the fresh Okeechobee Hearts of Palm Salad. The Sabal Palm Tree is the Florida State tree and this is what they use to prepare the salad. The hearts come from the inner core and have a cabbage-like flavor hence its nickname swamp cabbage. Mmmmmmm...good.
Back at the house, I "coaxed" Charlene into telling me about her Emmy. ;) She is currently a producer at WPTV in West Palm Beach. Both she and her husband, Mike, have been in broadcoasting for over 30 years. Mike is currently the Director of Engineering at WXEL which is a public broadcasting station. Anyway, Charlene won the Emmy for a story she produced called "Get out Alive." It was about teaching children what to do in the event of a fire. And here's Char with her statue. Very impressive.

Patrick left for NC shortly after I arrived. And Colleen lives in Miami now that they are both out of school. I want to thank Colleen for leaving an empty bed at home so I wouldn't have to sleep on the futon this time. LOL. But here is the view from the futon Sunday morning when I woke up.

















But, wait, what's this??????? Is this what I think it is? These guys are the most plugged in, techno savvy family I know. They have flat screen tvs, TIVO, IPODs, a Trio phone, Garmin navigators, wireless connections and notebook computers everywhere. And here sits a computer monitor that could probably get a spot on Antique Roadshow! And as if that weren't bad enough, check out what's under the bed!!!! I think this is what happened to the last guest who went around taking pictures they didn't know about...

9 comments:

Charlene said...

What a riot! First, I love the post and the photos!! So glad you had a good time. We were thrilled to see you and it definitely WON'T be YEARS before the next visit. You left out how much Mike enjoyed your Vette - GRIN! NOW....to your "undisclosed" photos. You'll note that the computer in Colleen's room no longer has a hard drive with it. The desk basically has an OLD monitor and keyboard...but is not operational. Colleen took the drive with her to Miami and left the antiques in her room. I don't have the heart to throw it out - because Colleen did spend so many happy hours using the computer when she was younger. Now that she is the Web Master at ClearChannel Miami - she is totally hooked up and left her old computer in the dust. As for the person living under the bed you slept in...What a hoot!!! I half expected her to show up in some part of our home...as you had suggested you might do. Now that I see her all alone...with boxes of stuff...I shall rescue her and place her in a place of importance...well...semi-importance. As Sami reminded me - she made the doll in Middle School and I should rethink the "underbed" residence.
I am so glad that you made the journey over to the land of the eye lift. Can't wait until October when we go to the healthy living event in West Palm. Seeing the photos of us back in the 70's and then the ones of us now...you are the picture of health...You've inspired me to TRY and achieve a more healthy plan - to that end... I ate my final meal of fried foods followed by snickers last night.
This morning I had my oatmeal, cofee (sorry - that will take longer to break) and will let you know if I actually dust off the excercycle tonight!
GREAT GREAT VISIT!!! Thank you again for coming over. Hope we can trek to the West Coast before the main Hurricane Season begins...how's August look for you & Curt?
HAVE A WONDERFUL REST OF THE WEEK MY FRIEND!

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

Char - doll??? What doll? ;)

montecarlomiss said...

OMG! GEL you are just too funny. You really know how to keep your readers entertained. You have a new career plan when you retire from your present one.

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

MCM aka BFF - You give me WAY too much credit. Actually, it's my friends and family that provide all the entertainment!

Di aka "Mrs Bigun" said...

I am so happy to see that Charlene spared you the space under the bed! scary!! that poor kid!!
Sounds like such a fun weekend!!!

Charlene said...

Linda came close to sleeping under the bed!! After a long day of traveling, feasting and drinking house cab...Linda was dead-dog tired...YET, she STILL beat me at Scrabble. (like there was any question about that! Even in her tired state!!) She would place two tiles and get 46 points. I would place FIVE tiles and get FIVE points. But...it's all good. There will be a rematch one day...and I may even study up on those evil TWO letter words...that I've never ever used..or even heard of...and me with such a capacious vocabulary!!! (totally used the Thesaurus for that one! aka extensive.) As for the doll...a photo showing her new digs will be flying through space to Ms. Linda soon...perhaps she will share. ALSO...LINDA - be on the lookout for James Last - coming to you tomorrow via Fed Ex.

Charlene said...

Scrabble Alert...I just saw a TV commercial for Subway...they now have a SCRABBLE game running. Sounds like it's time for a veggie sub on whole wheat bread!!

M-Gel said...

Good friends and good food....it sounds like a perfect weekend...other than the tassled shoes. I thought flip flops, Tevas, and Docksiders were the footwear of choice in Florida. Tassled shoes?

ronna said...

Well your weekend adventure sounds like alot of fun, and perhaps Charlene and I should get together and play some scrabble as we might have a fighting chance against one another, lol
The doll under the bed is hysterical, seems they were a popular thing to buy a couple of years ago and everyone had a child standing in the corner dressed to the hilt!!