Sunday, July 15, 2007

If at first you don't succeed, Tri Tri again!

This morning Curt participated in the Morton Plant Meese Triathlon (sprint triathlon or a Class C race as Bigun likes to call them). It was held at Sand Key in Clearwater on the Gulf of Mexico. Last night we enjoyed a carb fest at Angelina's with Team Taylor. It's just as important for the supporters of these events to have energy because there's a lot of cheering to be done and not just for our guys. Today I manned the kayak and Di manned the cowbell and camera, as usual.

The couple, Diane and Dennis, that we bought our kayak from called and asked if I would like to help provide kayak support and I was grateful for the opportunity. The first wave went out at 7am this morning and we met at 6 to get our gear together. Curt woke me up a little after 3:30am, however, and we left the house a little after 4. The transition area opened at 5 and a lot of guys/girls like to get there early to set up. The first picture is taken from my kayak as the sun starts to rise and the swimmers make their way down to the beach. Di sent me several pictures she took of me from shore. I wish I had room for more of them. And the group picture is one I took of the rest of our crew. Our crew included Diane's mother (who is 70 years old, btw!) and another couple, Art and Patty, in addition to a guy visiting from Wales, Matthew. We were spread out from the beginning to the finish line and were actually able to help a few swimmers . Swimmers are not disqualified if they hold onto the kayak to rest which is a good thing. We were out there a little longer than usual because the last swimmer in was 86 years old. What determination. I wish you could have seen him. I just missed Curt finishing the race because I was out in the water so long but there's a couple of pictures of him right after he's done and one with Bigun. And last, but not least, we have the arch nemesis, Tracy Parker (orange jersey). She doesn't even know she's the arch nemesis (Holy Cowbell, Batman!) and Curt doesn't even know her. He just knows that her name shows up on Athlink as a rival every time they're in a race together and she beats him in every race. This seems to bother him for some reason and that cracks me up. I think she beats Bigun, too, but she's only 36 and maybe she's expected to do better, guys????? Race results, you ask? I'll refer you to the Bigun's blog for all the details. Take it away, Bigun...







7 comments:

Di aka "Mrs Bigun" said...

great post!! Love seeing photos that someone else takes. It's such a different perspective, refreshing.I'm glad you had a good time out on the water. I would get out there too if it were a longer race- the sprints are over so quickly, there would barely be any time to watch our guys race. Let me know if Diane and Dennis need help again.

montecarlomiss said...

You're a better woman than I to get up that early in the morning, but what a beautiful sunrise. Kayaking looks like a lot of fun.

Bigun said...

The C race is the priority of the race, it doesn't necessarily mean "sprint", just for the record. At least Curt has a shot of someday beating Tracy - I mean, if she breaks something or races sick one day. With a cast and a cold, she'd still kick my butt...

Charlene said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. Loved hearing about your NY adventure in an earlier post. I'll email you soon and we'll "chat". Have a great night!!!

m-gel said...

Thanks for keeping us safe Sweet Heart.

I finally beat another one of my rivals...Sam Nall, age 64. I felt pretty good about that until the announcer said he recently had knee replacement surgery. I don't thing I have a shot at beating Tracy parker until she has knee replacement surgery!

ronna said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to post about your latest adventure, looks like you had a beautiful day and just loved the photos, what an awesome feeling it must have been to be out in the water with the swimmers!! Take care cy soon

Bigun said...

soooo, wha chew say'n, der Excel-Man? Do yous want somethin bad to happen to dis, wassername...Tracy-chik? Cause I know dis guy...